Saturday, February 7, 2015

Wife Material - Chapter 2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Chapter 2
Rain




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Have you ever wondered what people around you will react when you died?

I was the main course of my own funeral.

It was a rainy day. I felt the moist, the humidity and the raindrops. There, I laid, in the black, cheap casket. Not many people attended my funeral, it was an open casket and I think my face was soaked. I wasn't popular or something. I'm just ordinary and an orphan. I saw my adoptive parents crying. Yes, I did felt sorry for leaving them, they were great people, so kind and caring. A few relatives were there, sobbing. I don't really know them, I think we talked a little? I can't really remember. Oh! And people I don't recognize was also standing there, emotionless. I wondered why they were there? Where were my friends? Where was him? I didn't felt their presence. Or am I too dead to feel it? I don't like the environment, so dull. And the moisture, oh no no no!! Hate it! I can't move, at all. I hated the rain! So much! I feel dead, lifeless...

'So you regretted it now?'

Yes, I was.

That's the first time I heard the voice of my alter ego, in my own funeral. Ironic. Why can't I see the light like most people do? Why am I still concious? Why why why.......

Death wasn't the solution I guess. Bad idea Miss Fox, bad idea indeed.

***************************

Silence filled the air as Mr Dubois sat in front of Marilyn, sipping his Espresso. “This is rather awkward…”, Marilyn broke the silence. “Indeed.”, she answered with a simple reply. “I'm fine now and I should leave…”, she added. Her words just made Mr Dubois glanced at her, confused.
'Okay, there’s a chance girl.' SHUT UP!' “No, Mr Dubios. I gotta go now. It’ll rain soon if I'm not hurry.”, she replied. “I don’t think it will rain today, the weather forecast-“, Mr Dubios had not finished his sentence and he was interrupted by her, “Mr Dubios, Don’t trust the forecast, I'm always right with this.”

She took her purse and left, leaving Mr Dubios dumbfounded, whispered, “Raining huh? That's new.” After he had his last sip of Expresso, he put the money on the table and left. It was a sunny day outside and he thought of Marilyn again, “I guess you’re wrong Miss Fox”. Putting one hand into his pocket, he started to walk away.

Drip.
He felt a drop of rain on his face.

Drip… Drip….
He was stunned.

Pouring……
“This was surprisingly accurate, Miss Fox.”, he chuckled and ran.


*************************** 

Two gentle knocks on the door. “Come in,” Mr Dubois acknowledged it. “Sir, Mr Bane is here.”, the receptionist informed, bringing another tall man with her. “Thank you Jane, you may leave now,” Mr Dubois replied. “Yes sir,” the receptionist ended the conversation and leaving the two alone in the office.

“Angus!”, the man shouted. “Keep it low, Luke, long time no see.”, Mr Dubois replied, slightly annoyed. “Hell yeah, the last time we talked since college was last night dammit!”, Luke replied. “I was kind of occupied, so have you got what I wanted?” Angus asked impatiently. “It’s all here”, Luke held a file on his hand and gave it to Angus. “Well I didn't expect you would want to background check a girl.”, Luke said. “She is…. Interesting..” Angus replied and impatiently flipped through the pages. 

“Well, she was ‘interesting’, I only managed to dig out her recent years details, only since she was a freshman in college until today. Anything older is nothing to be found.”, Luke added. Angus looked at him curiously and said,” Well, this girl couldn't just appear out of nowhere.” “EXACTLY! She just did! Or she was really good at covering her tracks. Damn, she could be a perfect undercover agent if she did. No hospital records and dental records. Her social security number is a fake and her fingerprint I guess it’s not hers. She is fully of mysteries, man!” Luke exclaimed.

"That's makes her unique", Angus replied and closed the file. "As a friend, I would like to advise you to keep a distance from her. You'll never know what she is capable of!", Luke added. Angus smirked, looking out at the window, uttered, "Maybe she's here for a reason." Luke was confused with what Angus was saying and replied,"Okay, fine! Do what you like. Just be careful okay?" "I'll be fine Luke." Luke left, leaving Angus alone in his office, looking out from his window. It was still raining. The clouds were grey and thick, not a single ray of sunlight was penetrable.

"Just like the last time I saw you, raining." Angus whispered.

***************************

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment